The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in North Ferriby was built at a cost of about £100 in Narrow Lane.This building is now a private house named  "Oddfellows Hall". The Independent Order of Oddfellows bought the building for £150 in 1883.

 


The present building on High Street was opened in 1878 at a cost of £1000. The Schoolroom at the rear was opened in 1883.
During World War 1 the Schoolroom was used by soldiers billeted in the village.

In 1938 a major renovation of the Chapel was undertaken at cost of £682. This involved removing the central pulpit, replacing it with a Communion Table and rail, fitting oak wall-panelling and extending the vestibule.
During World War 2 the Schoolroom was used by evacuees from Hull.

The premises  were extended in 1974 to provide the New Room (as it is still called!), kitchen and toilets.

In 2004 an extensive refurbishment of the Church was started. This has resulted in improved access, glass front doors, new toilet facilities, new heating system, replacing the pews with chairs, a window between Church and vestibule,new carpet, re-decoration and improve lighting and sound systems. The cost of the refurbishment has been about £80,000.
In the coming years it is intended to re-roof the New Room, improve the external appearance of the Church and improve the kitchen.

"We are grateful to all those faithful people who have served God in this Church and village over the last 175 years and more. As we remember the past, we also celebrate the present and look forward to the future, whatever changes it may bring." 

The above quotation and most of the information for this page was obtained from the booklet "Methodism in North Ferriby 1828 - 2003" by Kay Laister written in 2003.